Police Misconduct

If You Were Injured by the Police in Wisconsin, Your Rights May Have Been Violated

The United States Constitution gives you the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures by government officials. A police officer is not allowed to enter your home unless the officer has a warrant or you give consent or there are emergency circumstances. A police officer is also not allowed to use more force than is necessary to make an arrest.

If an officer uses unreasonable force against you, you may have a claim for excessive force. In order to protect our freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, citizens must hold law enforcement officers who violate their rights accountable for police brutality, unlawful entry into their homes, and illegal searches.

If a police officer uses excessive force against you and you get injured, you may have a legal claim against the officer. If the officer’s training or the police department’s policies caused the officer to use excessive force, you may also have a claim against the city, county, or state that employs the officer.

Attorney Amy Scarr has a reputation for steadfastly upholding people’s civil rights.
Her successful record includes obtaining a large settlement from the city of Beloit after a Beloit police officer strip searched a minor-aged boy in public and caused him to sustain a concussion.

Wisconsin Police Misconduct Attorney With a Record of Success

If you have been mistreated by a police officer, your civil rights may have been violated. Police misconduct is a very serious matter. Citizens must hold law enforcement officers accountable for abusive actions such as police brutality. It is your right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures. The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution gives us that right, and it is up to us as citizens to protect that right.

Even if there is probable cause to arrest a person, that person has rights. For example, the police cannot use more force than is necessary against an arrestee. If an arrestee is not actively resisting arrest, not trying to flee, and not threatening an officer and the officer uses more force than is necessary, then the officer has violated the arrestee’s rights by using excessive force.

An Experienced Lawyer Dedicated to Protecting Your Rights

Ms. Scarr is committed to using the legal process to seek justice for her clients. She offers the experience and resources to effectively handle a broad range of serious civil rights cases involving police misconduct, including those involving:

  • Police brutality, excessive force
  • False arrest
  • Unlawful searches, including unlawful strip searches
  • Unlawful entry into a home

Call 608-729-4906 or send an e-mail to discuss your case with no cost or obligation.

If you have suffered physical abuse by a police officer in Dane County or a surrounding county in central Wisconsin, turn to the law firm of Amy F. Scarr, S.C., in Madison for help.